Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Deny Me and I will Deny You

 Something that hits hard with me every time I see it are these posts on Facebook that keep showing up. They start out with something really cool about God and then typically end with something like "Afraid to re-post this as your status?" or "Are you willing to show your love for God?" and "Jesus said that if you deny me in front of your friends, I will deny you in front of the Father" followed by "If you love God/Jesus, post this as your status." Argh! This just ruins the whole point! It's not a bragging contest, or a competition on who's not afraid to show they are a Christian and if you don't re-post you must not be a believer. It's about living out our love for Christ and our faith in Him so that we don't have to post it as our Facebook status for people to know. Frankly, it's sad that Christians are threatening other Christians and challenging people's faith with a silly ultimatum from scripture taken completely out of context. Scripture should not be used as a weapon or a threat, it should be used as a tool to show Christ's love towards others. So no, I won't re-post it as my status, you will know I am a Christian by the way I love others and treat them as Christ would.

3 comments: