Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Appreciating Silence

 I'm sure we've all heard the term 'awkward silence' before. Usually used when there is an underlying pressure to carry on conversation and make small talk with someone, and there is nothing to talk about. There is that feeling of thinking that the other person is waiting for you to say something and neither person can think of anything to say.

 I don't like being expected to make small talk. I would much rather stand with someone in silence then feel pressured to say something. I think that we should eliminate the idea of 'awkward silences'. I don't see why there is anything wrong with just being quiet. Why do we always have to being saying something? Why can't we just be comfortable around people in silence?

 The other day at work one of my co-workers was standing next to me for a few moments and neither of us said anything. Then he looked at me and said 'Oh I'm sorry, are you expecting me to make small talk with you while we're standing here or is it cool if we just don't have to say anything?' I just had to laugh and say 'Please don't feel obligated to make small talk with me, if you have something to say, I'd love to hear it, if not, that's fine too.' I just thought it was funny that he brought it out into the open that he knew there was some sort of social expectation that we all have to pretend that we're interested in making small talk with people when really, not many people want to.

 I think we should all be able to appreciate silence with others and not always feel the obligation to fill the 'awkward silences' with meaningless babble. We should be okay just being around people and taking in life together. Here's to silence... with out the awkward. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment